Infant massage is an ancient tradition that has been practiced for centuries in India and has been rediscovered in Western society.
Touch is one of the most significant and nurturing early experiences your baby will have. Research has shown that these early experiences can affect many aspects of our lives. Nurturing touch has long-term benefits and can impact how we think, feel, and relate to others, and most importantly, how we value and care for ourselves.
Infant massage greatly enhances the early bonding relationship between parents and caregivers and their babies. By using gentle, tactile stimulation along with loving verbal communication, a wonderful bonding experience is shared. Strokes can be either stimulating or relaxing, depending on your baby’s needs and developmental level. Infant Massage benefits your baby in the following specific ways:
Benefits for Infants
- Helps baby learn to relax
- Helps relieve discomfort from gas, colic, congestion and teething
- Promotes sounder and longer sleep
- Helps regulate breathing and relieve nasal congestion
- Helps to regulate digestive, respiratory and circulatory system
- Promotes bonding and communication
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps premature babies gain weight
- Helps baby’s body development
Benefits for Parents/Caregivers
- Helps deepen the bonding process
- Helps caregiver understand and respond to baby’s nonverbal cues
- Promotes a feeling of confidence in caring for your baby
- Increases caregivers ability to relax in times of stress
- Eases the stress of caregivers who must be separated from their baby during the day
- It is fun and relaxing for caregivers and babies
Classes meet once a week for 5 weeks.
The classes are designed for parents, grandparents and other caregivers with their babies.
The ideal age for babies is birth to pre-crawling.
Participants massage their babies whilst being guided through a step-by-step massage routine.
The routine is a carefully balanced combination of Swedish massage, Indian massage and Reflexology.
Each participant receives individual attention.
Classes include relaxation techniques and talks on issues such as crying, sleeping and baby emotions.
All participants receive handouts, massage oil and refreshments.